Because I spent my weekend at Spark camp! (For those of you that don't know, Sparks is the branch of Girl Guides of Canada for 5 and 6 year-old girls.)
It was some of the best fun I've had in a long time.
And it was also some of the best learning I've ever had.
Over the course of the weekend, I spent 38 hours with 20 girls. And I learned A LOT:
- Having a hand to hold can make even the utterly unbearable okay
- It's okay to want your mummy
- Hearing a voice can change everything
- A hug fixes everything
- Be confident
- Hug, smile, and love everyone and everything
- Live the little things
- Some people are high maintenance
- It's okay to cry
- There is a HUGE difference between kindergartners and first graders
- I love being needed
- I will put up with sitting uncomfortably for an HOUR if it'll get one little girl to be content
- A hug and a hand squeeze from a lonely little girl is the best thing I've ever felt
- Onesies are the CUTEST things IN THE WORLD
- Helping someone to be strong is the best thing I've ever done.
It's only been an hour and a half and I want them back already!
And I did not wear blue yesterday. Because I was dressed as Thing 1! Which was awesome! And my hairtie was blue, so I guess it's okay.