Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

(Diabetes Blog Week) One Great Thing.

Here's today's prompt: Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”. But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit. Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly! Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes. Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well!

I am not perfect.
And that is a hard thing to admit to myself, because I am a perfectionist.
Right after my diagnosis I was doing everything on time, checking BGs all day (with perfect results), and only treating lows with juice, even changing lancets every so often.
But now, not so much. I forget to bolus, to check, to stop eating when I'm low. I also scrape or bump my pump more than once a day - that probably doesn't help in the fact that he has to be replaced. And I only change the lancet when it starts to hurt because it's dull.

One thing that I think I do well, though, is I don't worry.
It used to be that if I went to bed lower than 7 (126), I would freak. Now I'm good, even at 5 (90). (If it goes lower than that, I worry a tiny bit.) When I'm high, I correct it and go on with things.
If it's big, like my site gets ripped out and I can't get home for the next four hours, or I run out of insulin and I have none to replace it, then I worry. (But there's other times when it's just hilarious.)

But I try not to let the little things bother me. And that's important in day-to-day life. That's my one great thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment