Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The bracelet came off...

I took my camp bracelet off last night.

I've been wearing it since the end of diabetes camp, and my original goal was to wear to the beginning of next camp (which I can't go to).

I didn't want to take it off, partly because I'm so proud of myself for wearing it for so long, but partly because somewhere in my head felt like that was the last thing connecting me to camp - a thin thread pulled to the breaking point.

But I realize now that that's ridiculous. Sure, it means that the physicalness of camp is gone, but the memories stay. Even more so now - every time I look at my bare wrist I remember a snippet of camp and I can't help but smile. I may not remember every little thing, but I do remember the important things. I remember laughing, and canoeing, and sitting on the warm grass talking. I remember feeling involved and loved and special. I remember warm fuzzies and bracelet-making and haunted houses. I remember the things that make camp CAMP, and no one can ever take that away.

I may not be able to go next year, and I may no longer have a bracelet to remember it by, but camp will always be in my heart no matter what happens.
Also, this doesn't mean that I have to get rid of the bracelet - I just have to take it off my wrist. (Especially considering how painful it is right now to even move my wrist because of all the dry skin D: ). I'll keep it safe - maybe with my warm fuzzies - and every once in a while I'll get it out and go back to those wonderful two weeks. Those two weeks that will always, ALWAYS be in my heart. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment