Total Pageviews

Monday, May 12, 2014

D-Blog week: Change the world.

Let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by talking about the diabetes causes and issues that really get us fired up. Are you passionate about 504 plans and school safety? Do diabetes misconceptions irk you? Do you fight for CGM coverage for Medicare patients, SDP funding, or test strip accuracy? Do you work hard at creating diabetes connections and bringing support? Whether or not you “formally” advocate for any cause, share the issues that are important to you.

I am not a formal advocate. At least, I don't count myself as one.

I don't stand up in front of groups of people and talk about diabetes, I don't give speeches at conferences, but I do do my part.

I correct misconceptions I hear in the hallway (like the infamous 'Diabetes is caused by the media!' Yeah, I killed that one well and good.) 

I tell people about what I go through, how I deal with it, how there isn't a cure.

I answer questions, I explain.

So I'm not a formal advocate, but I do advocate.

It irks me when people assume they know stuff (and they really, really don't). Like the people who tell me I can't eat sugar, that I have to diet and exercise more, that diabetes is completely curable.
I hate when people try and tell me what I can and can't do or eat or say; because this is MY issue, not yours.
It belongs to me. I may not like it all the time, but it's mine and you have no right to assume you know more than me. You, who may have read an article once, versus me who's been living with this for four and a half years, day in and day out. 
So, yeah. Don't try and tell ME you know about diabetes. Don't say that and then start spewing out misconceptions and falsehoods. Don't do it.

I may not be an advocate, but I will fight to have my voice heard.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like an advocate to me!! And thank you for fighting those misconceptions. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete