Total Pageviews

Monday, January 13, 2014

Scary low.

I went scary low last night.

Again.

1.7 is the lowest I have ever been in my four and a half years of this condition.

And I didn't even register it properly.

I felt a little weird, so I decided to test - 'cause I knew I was a little low at least. So I tested, and I saw the number, and I just kept going. Autopilot kicked in. "Low. Glucose. Go find the glucose." It was upstairs - I thought it was in my room - and when it wasn't there, I started freaking out. Which doesn't make any sense, because I knew EXACTLY where the other container was and it was only three steps away. But I almost started crying. (Also this was a new container, so it had the lift-n-peel top - they seriously have to stop doing that. It's okay, I massacred it with the end of a toothbrush.)

I was so scared, because I knew that something had gone wrong and I couldn't fix it fast. AND we had people over for dinner (lovely people :) ) so I was attempting to entertain while also dealing with a seriously low blood sugar.

I shook six glucose tablets out of the container. I honestly don't remember eating them - they just disappeared one at a time. What's really weird is that I didn't feel low - I wasn't shaky, or confused, or clumsy, or unfocused - I just didn't feel quite right.

And it didn't go away. I had the six tablets, waited, ate a granola bar, and forgot to retest. I was colouring with L, and I felt funny still - obviously recuperating from the low as well as having eaten too much. But I tested again when they left - an hour and a half after the 1.7 - and I was only 3.3. Juice. Small chocolate which I meant to bolus for but forgot. Half hour later? 14.4. Which stuck. And then I was 4.3 this morning.

This scares me. I don't like it. The scariest thing? I don't know WHY the low happened. Usually I can pinpoint it - I exercised an hour ago, I definitely overbolused that, I forgot to eat lunch, I overcorrected, hormones plus (insert reason here). But this time? I have nothing. I bolused pretty accurately for dinner, and while I didn't combo the lasagna, the low happened two and a half hours after dinner.

This condition doesn't make sense. It's different every day. It changes, it evolves, as soon as you've figured out why something happened it happens again for a totally different reason.

Usually I know what to do and how to handle this - but it's incidences like this, when I don't, that terrify me.

On the bright side, Dexcoms are now available in Canada! Woohoo! Based on the awesome things I've heard about it (and this scary incident which could possibly have been prevented or at least dealt with earlier), I'm going to look into getting one! Sweet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment